Vegan Strawberry Shortcake with CBD, Anyone?
Hooray for Strawberries! Forget store bought strawberries, its time to enjoy farm market berries. These juicy, red strawberries are bursting with flavor and you’ll never settle for store bought strawberries again. In addition to being delicious, Strawberriesare an excellent source of vitamins C and K as well as providing a good dose of fibre, folic acid, manganese and potassium. Mix in a dropper of CBD and you've got a supercharged treat that is sure to please!
The biscuits are easy to make and are ready in under 30 minutes. It involves combining the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Then cut cold vegan butter into squares and cut it into the dry using a pastry cutter (or your hands like I do!) until it’s fine and crumbly. Then pour in the ‘vegan buttermilk’, which is simply non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Mix, cut into biscuits and bake for 15 minutes. Easy peasy.
What about the coconut whipped topping? You can make it or visit your nearest Kroger or Whole Foods and get Coconut Tru Whip, Vegan Plant Based Whipped Topping. It’s delicious and makes this so much easier!
· 6 cups sliced strawberries
· 2 tablespoons granualated sugar
· 1 dropper of 600mg CBD oil (I prefer @maxton_health CBD oil)
· 1 1/4 cup almond milk
· 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
· 3 cups Krusteav all purpose flour
· 1/3 cup granulated sugar
· 2 tablespoons baking powder
· 3/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 cup vegan butter, cold and cubed
TruWhip Vegan Whipped Topping (I like the coconut)
1. Prepare the strawberries: Stir the strawberries, sugar and CBD oil in a large bowl. Cover and set in the fridge until ready to use.
MAKE THE BISCUITS
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and lightly grease a baking sheet. Measure the 1 1/4 cup almond milk and add the tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it, stir a little and set aside to curdle (this is your buttermilk).
2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Add the cubed vegan butter and cut into the dry ingredients (may also use a food processor for this). Use a pastry cutter or just your hands. It will look fine and crumbly.
3. Pour the vegan buttermilk into the bowl and stir until just combined. The dough will be quite sticky. Lightly flour a working surface (such as a clean countertop), and your hands and work the dough into a ball. Gently flatten to about ½ inch thick, then cut into circles using a biscuit cutter or even a rounded glass. You should have about 10 biscuits.
4. Place on the pan and bake for about 15 minutes, until golden brown on top. Let cool for 10 minutes or so before assembling.
MAKE THE COCONUT WHIP (IF NOT USING STORE BOUGHT Vegan TRUWHIP)
1. Chill the canned coconut milk or cream overnight, being careful not to shake the cans so the cream will remain separate.
2. Remove the cans, open and scoop out the hardened coconut cream, leaving the liquid in the can. Add to a large bowl and beat with a mixer for a minute until creamy. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until creamy, smooth and fluffy. Refrigerate until using so it doesn't melt!
ASSEMBLE THE SHORTCAKES
Slice the biscuits in half and layer with strawberries and coconut whip cream. Serve immediately and enjoy! Refrigerate left overs for up to two days!